Thursday, February 25, 2010

Definition Paper

Success seems ever so distant; it is blotted out by the dark, ominous clouds that loom overhead. These clouds represent the adversities that lay before goals and dreams. They must be surpassed in order to be successful, yet those goals would be meaningless without that adversity. Think about it. A person is proud of their accomplishments because of what they had to overcome, not the job, car, or fame they got in the end.
The dictionary definition of adversity, in my personal opinion, fails to define adversity in a positive light that it deserves. In literal terms adversity is as follows: “Adverse fortune or fate; a condition marked by misfortune, calamity, or distress” (dictionary.com). This definition does not give any of the positive aspects that adversity brings. In my personal definition, adversity is the hardships and obstacles that must be removed in order to reach the desired goal or outcome. It is sustenance that makes dreams and goals materialize in to the world. Goals would be so meaningless with the challenges because they could be reached by all. This is why the adversity we hate and face is what we end up loving and being proud of.
To further define adversity, the real world form of adversity is my swim coach, Lin Painter. Like adversity, first thoughts fail to due justice towards Painter. Painter has a big looming presence that feels like it could be triggered at the slightest action he dislikes on his first meeting. Also, Painter sets these seemingly impossible expectations for every one of his athletes. Painter’s appearance also helps solidify the idea that he is adversity. He almost looks like a mean version of Santa without the presents; that can make himself look bigger than he really is with subtle movements and expressions. He can easily show that he is angry with you by folding his arms and his shoulders begin to rise steadily upwards. However, when Painter is silent and in that position, that is when he is most intimidating, adversity is intimidating also. It has to because it must make you doubt what you are doing and inspire that doubtful little voice in your head to speak. That little voice must force you gather the strength to ignore it and focus on what you are doing. Yet, both Painter and adversity have are very different once you get to know them better. Painter likes to act tough and mean, but he is just really a big Teddy bear, especially around little children. He puts on that persona to make his swimmers better athletes and people because that is his goal. Adversity, also shares the same goal as Painter because as Walt Disney put it, “All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you” (Walt Disney). This is why I feel that Paint is one of the best coaches I have ever had, and I have had plenty. He pushes you farther than you ever thought was possible, but if don’t hold back and leave it out there, it is well worth the effort. Adversity, like Painter, must push you farther and harder than you think you can go.
Through the years, the meaning adversity has changed little throughout history. It has been associated with a challenge and improving as a result. Even in Malcolm X’s generation it was viewed the same way. Malcolm X said, “There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time” (Malcolm X). That is why the adversity is so unique. The meaning is written into stone, and it hasn’t changed through the passage of time. It is almost like the word knows what it is, and will not change. Even in a word, that is a rare because languages constantly evolve throughout generations.
My life is dependent on adversity, especially in answering who I am and what am I capable of. When I am facing adversity, I like those answers slowly come to surface. This summer I became a lifeguard at the Family Funplex in Greeley. I became a lifeguard because I wanted to see how I would react under the extreme stress of saving someone’s child or life. Would I be frozen in place by fear or would I do what I was trained to do? The question of finding out who I am has haunted me like a specter for the majority of my life. I seek adversity to answer that question because it is the only true way answer that question. Then if I discover a flaw in my character, I correct it so that I can be better. It is my belief that everyone needs adversity to grow and flourish, and I try to practice that each and every day. Because as Johnson Samuel said, “Adversity has ever been considered the state in which a man most easily becomes acquainted with himself” (Samuel).
The effect adversity has on my character is what seek so I may be better physically and mentally. Just the idea of adversity fuels my drive to reach my goals and make a difference in the world around me. It is my hope that others can get something from this essay, and face adversity rather than try to avoid it. Even if adversity decisively defeats you, you can use that defeat to learn and try again. That is the beauty of using adversity as an advantage, rather than thinking of it as a negative.

1 comment:

  1. I wish that you would have made those revisions on time because this paper was close to what you needed to do to get the A I know you can achieve with your writing, Becuase your re-post wasn't on time I am forced to give you a grade based on this essay! According to the rubric, your paper has the following decriptions:
    Identifies purpose; targets an audience through most word choices and details
    Presents a clear organizational pattern with a logical progression of ideas
    Provides adequate support for main idea, but development may be uneven
    Shows a command of language; uses transitions to connect ideas smoothly
    shows some mechanical errors
    Heading, Times new roman font, 12 font, double spaced, 1” top and bottom margins and 1.25” sides,2 pages.

    Your grade overall: 240/300 80%

    ReplyDelete