Thursday, February 4, 2010

College Essay Revised

Brandon Walker
Mrs. Borenson
Expository Writing, 4th Period
College Essay
4 February 2010
The sounds of the outside world failed to intrude upon my concentration, as I stared at the blank paper laid out before me. My task was simple, to design a C02 powered car for my advanced technology class; yet, I found it that I was dumbstruck by all the possibilities I could place upon this paper. The idea of putting something from my mind on to paper, then later materializing that design into something that could be felt and seen by others was astounding to me. This simple little project would have a profound effect on my career choice and future in the years to come.
Prior to taking home my designs, my technology teacher informed us that we were to design and fabricate C02 powered cars in the following weeks. He said our goal was design the fastest car that we could possibly could; however, there was a catch to that simple request. He challenged us to open our minds, and design something that was creative and devoid of influence from the outside world. So, with this thought in mind, I went home and began to design something that was entirely my own. Seconds turned to minutes, minutes to hours as I focused on my work. Only the task that lay before me was all that mattered. Finishing my design on time was the only problem that was persistent, but I managed to overcome that and turn it in. Then it was time materialize our cars into objects that could be defined by the senses. After creating our cars from a block of balsa wood, paint, and a whole lot of sweat, it was time to race. My car failed to take first, but it did take a modest third. Winning was not my primary goal; my goal was to design a complex and radical design that was different from any other. This project showed how I could use all the skills that I have acquired over the years can be put into a single project. The idea of that intrigued me and it is because of this project that I knew I wanted to be an aerospace engineer. I want to be an aerospace engineer because of the design process, testing, fabrication, and finding solutions to problems that may occur in the design. I plan on accomplishing this by attending the University of Colorado. The University of Colorado has one of the best aerospace programs in the nation, and the price tag of twenty thousand dollars for two semesters to go with it. So, I feel that getting accepted into that program would be a great opportunity to accomplish my goal. This is why obtaining this scholarship is so important to me, because it is an opportunity to further better myself and see how much I can improve.
Out of all the amazing people and events I have encountered in my life that have had an influence on me, is my mom, Cyndi Walker. By far, she is the greatest influence in my desire to pursue further education after high school. She has always believed in my abilities and is supportive in whatever I do, and on top of that she always gives my advice whenever I need help. For example, she has always told me that just being smart won’t take you all the way; you must be involved and active in everything around you. I truly believe this and have taken this advice to heart. I am active in a number of clubs and organizations; such as, the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Knowledge Bowl, Manager for the Valley High School Girl’s Swim Team, the Valley High School Boy’s Swim Team, and The Valley Club Swim Team. By being involved, I feel that I have acquired the necessary skills and traits that are needed to be successful in life and in a career.
Out of all the clubs and sports that I have been involved in, swimming is my favorite because it has taught self-motivated, to be discipline, how to motivate others, to lead, and to make use of every opportunity. I have made use of these skills, like when I helped motivate our relay to break the school’s 400 freestyle relay record. When out of the pool I have used my discipline to earn a letter for academics by maintaining a 3.941 grade point average, and by earning a place in the academic all state first team. Also, in FBLA I have awarded a district honors award for my performance at districts. Leading is also a skill that swimming has taught me. This skill is invaluable because it can be used throughout life in almost any environment.
Looking back at that little C02 powered car now, I realized how that simple project pulled everything together. All of those skills to be successful were there and they were just waiting to be found. Now I take every opportunity that presents itself, so that I may further hone my skills to be better. Also, I must never waste an opportunity because by wasting an opportunity I am hurting myself and letting those that depend on me down. Even if I fail to accomplish an opportunity, such as a race or test, I can use that failure to learn and make myself better for the future.

1 comment:

  1. You essay had exactly what I was looking for. I felt like the information surrounding the real need for the scholarship money. I don't know what you could have added there, but the rest of you essay was great. As far as the rubric goes here's what I thought you did at the 6 level: Writing is strongly focused
    shows fresh insight into the task
    consistently targets an audience through word choices and supporting details
    Successfully presents information in a fluent, organized manner
    Provides convincing, well-elaborated support for ideas
    Shows a mature command of the language
    chooses clear transitions to convey ideas
    Grade: 97/100 from 85!!

    ReplyDelete